Hackettstown Fire Department History




Fire Company "Relief No.2"

A group of Hackettstown men organized themselves into a volunteer fire fighting group known as fire company Relief No. 2 in 1855. About this time they came into possession of an ancient piece of fire fighting appatatus called "The Relief". This hand pumper was purchsed by a few local men, along with leather buckets and 60 feet of leather hose from a group of Philadelphia Fire volunteers. This company fought many fires in town using their old pumper.

By 1865 interest and membership in the group was declining and it disbanded. The Gazette defended the men stating that with no new equiptment or formal training, disinterest among member was understandable.


     On December 3, 1877, with the express desire to organize a new fire company, dedicated men banned together and formed the Cataract Hose Company #1. Meeting in Klotz & Ackley's butcher shop on Main Street, thirty-six charter members dedicated themselves to the protection of life and property in Hackettstown. The constitution and by-laws of the organization were adopted on April 18, 1878 and became an incorporated company on July 1, 1891.
     The Hackettstown Firemen's Relief Association was born on May 23, 1879 whereby firemen could help each other in times of illness or death.
     Their first equipment consisted of a two-wheeled hose cart and the hand pumper, to which they fastened 10-foot lengths of leather hose when they reached the scene of the fire. Each firemen carried a section of this riveted hose, kept workable by the constant conditioning with neatsfoot oil. Water for the pumper was supplied from a brook or a well by the bucket brigade. This pumper, which is still preserved and in working condition at the Moore Street Firehouse, is believed to have been built in London, England in the late 17th. century. Operated solely by manpower, this pumper was capable of throwing a stream of water 50 or more feet in the air at a rate of 78 gallons per minute.
     Their early celebrations consisted of dinner dances at Warren House Hotel on Main Street, but on August 30, 1907 a gigantic parade was held, to which more then 10,000 people came to enjoy or participate in. It was quite an accomplishment to have an affair that large as at that time the only way to get men and equipment for town to town was by the train or horse.
     Prior to 1900 there was at least three different firehouses or engine houses. In 1900 the main building was erected on Moore Street with the truck bays being added in 1950, when the old wooden floor couldn't stand the weight of the modern trucks. As the town grew, a need was seen for another fire station and in 1971 the Miller Street Firehouse was built.
     On October 30, 1899 the Cataract Hose Co. #1 was called on to fight its first major fire when the main building at Centenary College for Women was completely destroyed. It was at this fire that the need for a group of of men to man the ladders was evident and in 1901 the Vigilant Hook & Ladder Company #1 was organized by more dedicated townspeople.
     In 1942 the Cook Department Store and the Peoples Bank were leveled by a major fire that hit the town's business district. Hackettstown has seen the destruction of two lumberyard in town-the Hackettstown Coal & Lumber Co. in March of 1956 and the Williams and Hibler Lumberyard in August of 1970.
     In December of 1946 the women of the firemen's families organized a Ladies' Auxiliary. By providing refreshments at extended fires and financial support, these women have provided and invaluable service to the Hackettstown Fire Department and the town.
    During the early years only a few alarms of fire were given per year, but today the dedicated men of the Hackettstown Fire Department answer between 300 and 400 alarms per year. Whether it be day or night, when someone needs help and the alarm is sounded, the dedicated men of the Hackettstown Fire Department will be on their way, in a matter of minutes, to answer the call.

Charter Members of The Hackettstown Fire Department

Cataract Hose Co. No.1
Organized 1877 Incorporated July 1, 1891
      Vigilant Hook & Ladder Co. No.1
Organized 1897 Council Confirmed March 4th, 1901
William A. Ackley
 
F.H. MacClellan
Ted Ackley
 
Frank Niper
Jacob Albers
 
William Ayers
Elias Bell
 
Lewis A. Berkhardt
Eugene Bilby
 
Harry Nolan
James Brant
 
William A. Park
Henry S. Boettiger
 
Sanford Clark
Richard R. Clark
 
Roscoe T. Hart
Jacob Creveling
 
Robert K. Teel
William D. Cramer
 
Roscoe Ayers
Wilson Daley
 
F.J. Riedinger
George T. Everitt
 
Herbert Ellor
James E. Gerard Sr.
 
Daniel Harris
O. H. Hummer
 
John S. McLean
R. O. Howell
 
Ben F. Skinner
F. W. Halsey
 
Charles Osmun
William Hairhouse
 
Edgar M. Parks
Nathan Klotz
 
Morris Valentine
George W. King
 
John P. Everitt
John S. Keggan
 
George B. Wert
Nat Luff
 
Frank C. Brant
Theodore Menagh
   
Jacob McCracken
   
Joseph McCracken
   
John Niper
   
James L. Smith
   
George W. Smith
   
James K. Swick
   
A. D. Snyder
   
F. J. Smith
   
George Titus
   
E. F. Tuttle
   
H. W. Vorhees
   
Jacob Van Sickle
   
Charles N. Wade
   
Joseph D. Klotz
   
     
     
     




Andrew H. Warner - A Tribute

July 24, 1911

The members of Cataract Hose Company No.1 are called together on this 24th day of July, Nineteen Hundred and Eleven for the purpose of giving expression to our sorrow in the death of Andrew H. Warner who was killed in the discharge of his duty as a fireman at the fire in the Lackawanna Leather plant on Sunday morning, July 23, 1911. We recognize how hollow words sound to the presence of so great a sorrow, in the expression of heartfelt sympathy, in recording high appreciation. His was the first life sacrificed in the performance of a public duty all firemen oblige themselves to perform. We marvel that other lives were not sacrificed under the circumstances that could not be foreseen or guarded against. we are reverently thankful that in all the thirty four years of our organization and public service that no life has been lost on duty, and that Andrew H. Warner's life was not a sacrifice to impulsiveness or conditions that might have been prevented. His was a calm, heroic performance of the duty at hand, and we may not question the destiny that exacted so great a penalty. He was loved and respected by the members of this Company which he honored by his membership. He commanded our respect as a firemen, a companion and as a citizen by deserving it. He was clean, lovable, devoted in every relation and his memory is safe with those who knew him, with a community for who's safety and protection his life was sacrifice. Our message to his stricken wife is one of sincerest and tenderest sympathy, coupled with the assurance that our obligation to him does not end at his grave but extends to those who were nearest and dearest to him, to comfort, to support, to encourage with all the means at our command.

And Be It Resolved; That this minute be spread upon our records, a copy transmitted and forwarded to his widow, and the Department headquarters be draped in mourning for the usual period.

Home